- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk purposefully.
- Communicate the message that you are calm, confident, know where you are going, and know what is going on around you.
- Try not to walk alone, and avoid street solicitors.
- Report people with suspicious behavior to the Front Security Desk at (713) 646-1743 or 911.
- Park in well-lighted areas so you can see your vehicle and its surroundings from as far as possible.
- Have your keys ready before you approach your vehicle so you do not make yourself vulnerable while searching for the right key.
- Always lock all doors whether you are in or out of your vehicle.
- Keep the windows rolled up enough so an arm cannot fit through the opening.
- Keep all valuables in the vehicle out of sight; take them with you or lock them in the trunk. If you must lock them in the trunk, you should do so prior to arriving at your destination to prevent becoming a victim of those suspects who watch for such an opportunity.
- When stopping in traffic, leave enough distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you so you can pull away quickly if necessary.
- If you think someone is following you, do not go home. Drive to the nearest police or fire station, open public area or other well-lighted areas where there are people to help you.
- If your vehicle breaks down or runs out of gasoline, pull over to the side of the road, raise the hood, leaving enough room to see over the top and turn on your hazard lights. Get back into the vehicle, keep the doors and windows locked. If someone stops, send them for help and provide them with phone numbers.
- Do not accept rides from anyone.
- Be alert when using drive-up ATM machines.
- Familiarize yourself with the emergency button on the elevator.
- Stand near the controls.
- Do not get on an elevator with someone who worries you.
- Get off if someone suspicious enters.
- If you are attacked, push the alarm button or as many buttons as possible.
- Do not leave your purse, book bag, or brief case unattended. Keep it with you or lock it up in a drawer, cabinet or locker.
- Never give telephone numbers or addresses of fellow students or employees to anyone without their permission.
- Use discretion in revealing personal plans to people at work and school.
- Report suspicious items/behavior to the Front Security Desk at (713) 646-1743 or any of the on-site security officers.
- Remember, be aware of the world around you, stay alert, and use good judgment so you can avoid becoming an easy target.
*numbers in bold denote on campus phone extension.