Associate Professor of Law
"He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me."
BA, University of Kansas
JD, Wake Forest University
PhD, University of Aberdeen College of Law
Areas of expertise: cultural heritage law, legal research & writing, appellate advocacy.
Publications available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=612637
Professor Fincham’s Blog: illicitculturalproperty.com
Dr. Fincham joined the South Texas faculty in 2010, and teaches Legal Research and Writing; and Art Law. Prior to joining the faculty, he was a Westerfield Fellow at Loyola University in Orleans. He is a frequent faculty advisor to moot court teams at the College. After earning his J.D. at Wake Forest University he undertook comparative research at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, earning his Ph.D. in 2008 for his thesis: “Preventing and Repairing These Losses: The Response of the United States and the United Kingdom to the Illicit Trade in Cultural Property”.
Fincham serves on the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Cultural Property. He has presented talks on his research to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, at Stanford Law School, the University of Siena, the University of Leicester, and elsewhere.
- Transnational Forfeiture of the “Getty” Bronze, 32 Cardozo Art & Ent. L. J. __ (2014), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2238204
- Social Norms and Illicit Cultural Heritage, in Enforcing International Cultural Heritage Law 206-227 (Francesco Francioni and James Gordley eds. 2013, Oxford Univ. Press), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2297954
- The Parthenon Sculptures and Cultural Justice, 23 Fordham Intell. Prop., Media & Ent. L.J. 943 (2013), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2131825
- Justice and the Cultural Heritage Movement, 20 Va. J. L. & Soc. Pol'y 43 (2012), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2026679
- The Distinctiveness of Property and Heritage, 115 Penn St. L. Rev. ¬641 (2011), http://ssrn.com/abstract=1673574
Bibliography of Writings