Federal regulations require all borrowers to complete Federal Direct Stafford Loan Exit counseling before they graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time enrollment. Visit www.studentloans.gov to complete exit counseling. Graduating students may meet one-on-one with their Financial Aid Counselor to discuss loan repayment
- Student Loan History Review Reviewing and understanding your student loan history is key when transitioning into loan repayment. The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. NSLDS provides a cumulative loan history of all your federal loans and includes contact information for your loan servicers.
- Loan Repayment Calculator to estimate your loan payment and choose a repayment plan that meets your future income level.
- The loan repayment calculator can be found here.
- There are several repayment plan options to choose from and it is important to research them here.
- There are limited circumstances when student loan consolidation makes sense. Visit here for more information.
- You can deduct student loan interest on your income tax return if you meet the qualifications. Visit the IRS for more information here.
Loan Repayment Assistance
- STCL Loan_Repayment.
- This program is administered by the law school with funding from the Fred Parks endowment. It seeks to assist a minimum of five STCL graduates annually who engage in direct civil representation of poor Texans.
- The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Will forgive or cancel the remaining balance due on eligible Direct Loan Program loans after having made 120 payments on those loans under certain repayment plans while employed in certain public service jobs. More information here.
- Texas Access To Justice Program
- This program provides loan repayment assistance to assist attorneys who work in legal aid. More information here.