Financial Aid FAQ

What types of Federal, State, and Institutional aid can I receive?

As a graduate student, financial aid consists of Federal Direct loans including Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans and Federal Work-study. Institutional aid consists of scholarships. Residents of the State of Texas can apply for the Texas Equalization Grant (TEG).

Where can I find information on Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans? A comprehensive webpage of all Federal Direct Student Loan information is located here.

Can I apply for financial aid before I am accepted for admission?

Yes, anyone may complete the FAFSA before applying for admission or being accepted. The FAFSA application is located here.   South Texas College of Law Houston’s Federal School Code number is (004977).  Once you complete the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will receive your results electronically.

What other forms does South Texas College of Law Houston require of a student to apply for financial aid?

Students planning to borrow Federal Direct Student loans must complete both loan entrance counseling and Master Promissory Notes located here.

How do I apply for a South Texas College of Law Houston scholarship?

All entering students are considered for merit scholarships based on their undergraduate performance and LSAT score. Please contact the Admissions Office at 713-646-1810 for more information on scholarships.

Do many students at South Texas College of Law Houston receive scholarships upon admission?

Approximately 56 percent of South Texas College of Law Houston’s admitted students receive partial scholarships. The College also offers scholarships to continuing students.  These scholarship opportunities are announced during the academic year.

Will Federal Direct Student Loans cover all of my costs at South Texas College of Law Houston?

A combination of Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans may be necessary to cover the full cost of attendance at South Texas College of Law Houston. Costs of attendance include tuition, fees, books, room, board, transportation, and miscellaneous.  The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan maximum amount per fall and spring semesters is $20,500.  This amount doesn’t cover the full amount of tuition and fees and therefore, students borrow the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan to cover the remaining balance. A Graduate PLUS loan maximum amount per year is limited to the College’s Cost of Attendance.

How will I know how much I need to borrow to cover the Cost of Attendance?

After a student is admitted and submits a seat deposit, the Financial Aid Office will review a student’s FAFSA and institutional financial aid application for eligibility.  Based on a student’s eligibility, the Financial Aid Office will email a student a financial aid award letter which may consist of loans, scholarships and or grants.

Will I be able to borrow to purchase a new laptop?

Yes. Students often need to have a laptop computer and may borrow up to $2,000 in Federal Direct student loans to cover the cost.

What if I choose not to borrow a Federal Direct Loan or less than the maximum amount?

A student should borrow only the amount needed. When you receive your financial award letter detailing how much you are eligible to borrow, you may reduce that amount simply by logging into your STANLEY web account.  Information and directions are provided along with the award letter.

What steps do I take if I do need to borrow the full amount of the Federal Direct Loan as shown on my award letter?

Step 1: A student wishing to accept all of the loans offered to him/her will log into STANLEY and accept the awards.

Step 2: Navigate to here to complete entrance counseling and the Master Promissory Note.

Step 3: If the student chooses to borrow a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan, he/she will apply here and a credit check will be completed as part of the application process.

Why is my credit important how can I check it?

Many students who attend South Texas College of Law Houston borrow Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans in addition to the unsubsidized loan. To be eligible for the Graduate PLUS loan, a student must have non-delinquent credit.  Bad credit usually implies having made late payments (more than 30 days) on credit cards, medical bills, telephone bills, rent or other types of credit.  Defaults, collections actions, write-offs and bankruptcy also indicate bad credit.  Because mistakes often occur with credit reporting agencies, we strongly recommend that you contact one or all of the national credit agencies to receive a copy of your credit report in advance of applying for Graduate PLUS loans.  You may request your annual free credit report here.

What if I have a negative credit rating?

If your credit rating is negative, you should remedy any deficiencies before applying for a loan.   Some students are required to have co-signers for Federal Graduate PLUS loans.  Negative credit may seriously affect your ability to finance your education through the Graduate PLUS loan program.  South Texas College of Law Houston does not have the resources to lend money to students who cannot obtain Federal Graduate PLUS loans or Private (Alternative) Loans.

May I return my refund if I decide I no longer need it?

Yes. Go here.

If I have more questions, who can I contact?

You may call or email the Financial Aid Office at South Texas College of Law Houston. The email address is mailto:faid@stcl.edu and the phone number is 713-646-1820.

Experian, 1-888-397-3742 or visit their website

Trans-Union, 1-800-888-4213 or visit their website

CBI/Equifax, 1-800-997-2493 or visit their website

NOTE: In some circumstances, the inability to borrow Graduate PLUS loans due to negative credit will seriously affect your ability to finance your legal education. The law school doesn’t have the resources to lend money to students who cannot obtain Graduate PLUS loans.