The fourth-largest city in the United States, Houston is a global center for business, law, healthcare, arts, and sports, and is one of the most vibrant, diverse metropolitan areas in America.
South Texas College of Law Houston is located in the heart of downtown, just minutes away from courthouses, major international law firms, corporations, and legal service providers. This helps ensure that our students have the kinds of opportunities they need to begin pursuing a successful legal career immediately after graduation.
In addition to the employment opportunities Houston offers, our students also enjoy access to a range of benefits that go far beyond the classroom:
- Corporate presence. Twenty-four Fortune 500 companies have their corporate headquarters in Houston, the third-highest total in the country.
- Major law firms. About a quarter of the 100 largest law firms in Texas are either headquartered in Houston or have a significant presence in the city.
- World-class healthcare. The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical complex in the world. Its 54 research and academic institutions include 17 hospitals, three medical schools, and five nursing schools.
- Parks and recreation. The Greater Houston region has two of the 10 largest urban public parks in the nation, and Memorial Park is bigger than New York’s Central Park. On top of that, the City of Houston Bikeway Program includes 345 miles of inter-connected on-street and off-road paths.
- Fine arts: The Houston Museum District is made up of 19 institutions, including the world-renowned Menil Collection, Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Rothko Chapel, and Contemporary Arts Museum Houston.
- Performing arts. Houston is one of the few American cities to offer year-round, world-class resident companies in all the major performing arts – ballet, theatre, opera, and symphony. It also has more dedicated downtown theatre seats than any U.S. city but New York.
- Food and restaurants. Houston’s dining options are as diverse as the city itself, with more than 7,500 restaurants whose menus span more than 60 cuisines.
- Professional sports. Houston fields professional teams in football (Texans), baseball (Astros), basketball (Rockets), and soccer (Dynamo).