Interested in becoming active in the State Bar of Texas while in law school? You can do so by joining the Law Student Division of the State Bar of Texas. All practicing attorneys in Texas are required to be a member of the State Bar of Texas. The Law Student Division allows law students to become involved with the State Bar early in their law career. I invite you to become a member of the Law Student Division and establish great connections while benefiting from the membership opportunities. Membership benefits include:
- One year subscription to the Texas Bar Journal: contains up-to-date articles and information about Texas laws and Texas attorneys
- State Bar of Texas/Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA) Committee/Section Membership: members are eligible to serve on State Bar and TYLA standing/special committees and sections
- Legal Professionalism Award: members are eligible for award, which includes a $1000 prize
- State Bar of Texas Insurance Trust: members are eligible to receive the same rates offered to Texas attorney’s for personal, life, health and dental insurance plans
- State Bar of Texas MasterCard for eligible students
- Access to Job/Career Center Website: place your resume on the TYLA career center website
These are just a few of the benefits you will receive by joining the Law Student Division. Dues are only $15 a year, which is minimal compared to the benefits you will receive. I strongly encourage you to join today and become more involved while in law school. This is a great place to jumpstart your career in law and a great networking opportunity. To join, stop by the Student Bar Association (SBA) office and pick up an application. Return the application and membership fee to receive your free Law Student Division T-Shirt.
If you have any questions contact the State Bar Representative for South Texas College of Law Houston in the SBA Office.