Temporary Study Room Reservations Policies (during the COVID-19 pandemic)
Effective August 8, 2020
These policies have been altered to allow for equitable use of the Fred Parks Law Library study rooms, while attempting to reduce the likelihood of spreading COVID-19 through our community. There is no absolute protection from the virus when there is shared space. Please be vigilant of your own health when using any spaces or materials in the Library. When health concerns allow, the previous study room policies will be reinstituted.
In order to provide all students with the ability to use the Fred Parks Law Library study rooms, the Library has in place a study room reservation system and policies. (Faculty and staff wanting to reserve a study room should contact Library Administration.)
The Fred Parks Law Library houses 58 study rooms. (Only two law schools in the country have more study rooms.) To try to accommodate everyone’s needs, only select study rooms can be reserved. Rooms that usually can be reserved are:
- All conference rooms:
- Extra Large: 1010, 1012, 2004, 3004, 3033, 4004 & 5004
- Large: 1014, 5012, 5035 & 5036
- Medium: 3005, 3027, 3028, 3029, 3030, 3031, 3032, 3034, 3035, 3036, 4005
- Three small rooms on the 1st floor:
- 1018, 1020 & 1021
- Fifteen small rooms on the 4th floor:
- 4014, 4015, 4016, 4019, 4020, 4021, 4022, 4023, 4024, 4025, 4027, 4028, 4029, 4030 & 4031
To support a variety of needs, some study rooms usually cannot be reserved. They are:
- One small room on the 3rd floor:
- The ADA Accessible small rooms on the 4th floor:
- 4026 & 4032
- Fifteen small rooms on the 5th floor:
- 5016, 5017, 5018, 5021, 5022, 5023, 5024, 5025, 5026, 5027, 5029, 5030, 5031, 5032 & 5033.
All non-reserved rooms will remain open and available on a first-come first-served basis. Rooms will never be locked. The Library reserves the right to cancel study room reservations. The Library staff will notify the holder of any canceled reservation.
Reservation Parameters during Pandemic Health Restrictions
- Students must use their STCL email to reserve rooms.
- Reservations must be confirmed to be valid.
- Each student can have 2 active reservations at a time.
- Each reservation is for the whole day.
- Study rooms can be reserved 2 days in advance of the reservation.
- All study rooms are intended for use by a single student. Social distancing requirements must be honored.
- A student may remove his or her mask in a study room if the door is closed and he or she is alone.
- Two students are allowed to use the extra-Large rooms at the same time while maintaining social distance (6 feet apart) and wearing masks.
- Only STCL Houston students may reserve study rooms. Exceptions to this can be made only by Library staff.
- Adverse possession of a study room is NOT available. A reservation will not be canceled only because a room is empty. Please be considerate. Cancel reservations that will not be needed.
- Reservations will not be available during scheduled cleaning times.
- Students must vacate a study room while it is being cleaned.