Our faculty over the years has included some of the most distinguished legal experts in Texas and the United States. Included in this 1926-1927 faculty photo are:
J. C. Hutcheson, Jr. (1879-1973), one of the founders of STCL and the first Dean, was Federal District Judge and later Chief Justice of the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals;
Sam Streetman (1870-1933), one of the founders of STCL and the second Dean, was formerly County Judge of Milam County, then a judge on the Texas Third Court of Appeals, and later a named partner with the law firm of Andrews, Ball and Streetman, now known as Andrews & Kurth;
Gavin Ulmer (1895-1962), one of the founders of STCL and Assistant Dean, was an Instructor at STCL for 30 years. He was a solo-practitioner in Houston and President of the Houston Y.M.C.A., 1934-1948;
E. T. Branch (1876-1951), one of the state’s top experts in criminal law, and author of Branch’s Annotated Penal Code, served as Harris County Assistant District Attorney and also District Attorney, and was part of the commission that recodified the criminal law of Texas in 1925;
J. Newton Rayzor (1895-1970), in 1927 formed one of the most important Admiralty law firms in Houston, Royston & Rayzor, and also started a shipping firm, and later was a generous supporter of higher education in Texas;
George D. Sears (1888-1959), attorney and later General Counsel of the Houston Pipeline Company and Houston Oil Company, who later also practiced with the well-known Houston law firm of Williams, Lee, Hill, Sears & Kennerly;
Barksdale Stevens (1893-1956), practiced law with the well-known Houston firms of Baker Botts and Vinson & Elkins before becoming a trial attorney for Shell Oil Co., and later was a law professor at the University of Houston;
T. H Cody (1887-1957), was an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Houston, then practiced law with the firm of Fulbright & Jaworski, and later was a judge on the Texas First Court of Appeals for twenty years;
Y.D. Mathes, practiced law in Houston for over thirty-five years;
Richard T. Fleming (1890-1973), was President of the Houston Bar Association in 1925, before he went to New York with Texas Gulf Sulphur Company, eventually becoming Vice-President and General Counsel;
Grover Rees (1891-1994), an attorney in Houston for Baker Botts and then Bryan, Hutcheson & Dyess, and then in 1927 became an attorney for Gulf Oil Corporation in South America, later moving to Pittsburgh as Gulf’s General Counsel for Europe and South America;
W. Ray Scruggs (1895-1970), Assistant City Attorney for Houston, then a judge on Houston’s County Court at Law for five terms, later First Assistant City Attorney for San Antonio, and finally Assistant Attorney General of Texas.
Conrad J. Landram, attended Harvard Law School, 1915 to 1917, and completed his legal training at the University of Texas before practicing general and corporate law in Houston beginning in 1919, and served as part of the faculty from 1924 to 1945.
Cyrus S. Gentry, held three degrees including a law degree from Oxford University and taught constitutional law and common law actions as part of the faculty from 1925 to 1934.