This image, from June 14th, 1953, shows several individuals from the Houston Y.M.C.A. South Texas Colleges being honored for their years of service to the Y.M.C.A.
The individuals being honored are (L-R): Judge Spurgeon Bell (1908-1996), being honored here for 15 years of service, served as a faculty member in the South Texas College of Law for over fifty years and as Chairman of the law school’s Board of Trustees. Bell was an attorney and then Judge for the 125th Civil District Court, 1953-1957, and later Associate and Chief Justice of the Texas First Court of Appeals, 1957-1973;
D. H. Gregg (1911-1985), being honored here for 10 years of service, was an Instructor at South Texas from 1939-1962 and also served on the South Texas Board of Trustees. He practiced with the firm of Baker Botts from 1935-1938, and then with Humble/Exxon from 1938-1976, becoming Associate General Counsel. He was of counsel to the firm of Fulbright & Jaworski, 1976-1983;
E. E. Townes (1878-1962), being honored here for 25 years of service, was one of the founders of South Texas College of Law and served as its third Dean from 1934-1960. Townes wrote the original charter and helped form Humble Oil and Refining Co. in 1917, later becoming General Counsel and Vice-President of Humble/Exxon, until his retirement in 1943. Townes then practiced law with his son Edgar E. Townes, Jr., from 1943-1962;
Judge J. C. Hutcheson, Jr. (1879-1973), being honored here for 25 years of service, was one of the founders of South Texas College of Law, and served as first Dean of the law school, 1923-1931. Hutcheson served as a Federal District Judge and later Chief Justice of the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals;
Gavin Ulmer (1895-1962), being honored here for 25 years of service, was one of the founders of South Texas College of Law, served as Assistant Dean of the law school, and was also an Instructor in the school for 30 years. He was a solo-practitioner in Houston and was President of the Houston Y.M.C.A., 1934-1948;
W. J. “Joe” Williamson (1912-1997), being honored here for 10 years of service, served as a faculty member at South Texas College of Law and then at the University of Houston Law Center, and later returned to South Texas College of Law as its sixth Dean, 1984-1989. Williamson was an attorney for Shell Oil and Pipeline Cos. from 1941-1972, rising to the position of General Counsel, Director and Corporate Secretary;
William Herman Randolph, being honored here for 10 years of service, was Educational Director for the Houston Y.M.C.A. from 1943-1959, overseeing the South Texas Colleges of Law, Commerce, and Junior College. The South Texas College of Commerce merged with the Junior College in the 1950s. The South Texas Junior College became the University of Houston-Downtown in 1974.