Congressman Bob Casey (1915-1986) and his wife Hazel are shown here in a 1981 photograph when Congressman Casey was awarded the South Texas College of Law Distinguished Alumnus Award.
Congressman Casey was a member of the class of 1940, and was elected to Congress in 1958, serving until 1976, when he resigned to become a Commissioner of the Federal Maritime Commission, 1976-8.
Casey started as a practicing attorney in Alvin, Texas, and also served eight years as Harris County Judge (1950-1958), four years as Harris County Assistant District Attorney (1943-1947), two years as Alvin City Attorney (1942-1943), and two years as a Texas legislator (1948-1949).
Casey was the first person elected to Congress from the 22nd district of Texas. In 1980 the federal building at 515 Rusk St. in downtown Houston was named for him.
Casey served on the Board of Trustees at South Texas, and also was a founding Director of the South Texas Law Review. Casey and his wife established a scholarship at South Texas in 1985 to help students defray costs while attending South Texas.