Back to Main Page / Back to List of Rules
Rule 502.2. Petition (2013)
(a) Contents. To initiate a lawsuit, a petition must be filed with the court. A petition must contain:
(1) the name of the plaintiff;
(b) Justice Court Civil Case Information Sheet. A justice court civil case information sheet, in the form promulgated by the Supreme Court of Texas, must accompany the filing of a petition and must be signed by the plaintiff or the plaintiff's attorney. The justice court civil case information sheet is for data collection for statistical and administrative purposes and does not affect any substantive right. The court may not reject a pleading because the pleading is not accompanied by a justice court civil case information sheet.
(2) the name, address, telephone number, and fax number, if any, of the plaintiff's attorney, if applicable, or the address, telephone number, and fax number, if any, of the plaintiff;
(3) the name, address, and telephone number, if known, of the defendant;
(4) the amount of money, if any, the plaintiff seeks;
(5) a description and claimed value of any personal property the plaintiff seeks;
(6) a description of any other relief reqested; (erroo in order – intended requested?)
(7) the basis for the plaintiff's claim against the defendant; and
(8) if the plaintiff consents to email service of the answer and any other motions or pleadings, a statement consenting to email service and email contact information.
Added by order of April 15th, 2013, eff. Aug. 31, 2013.