Founded in 1923 by the YMCA, South Texas College of Law graduated its first class—consisting of 11 students—on June 1, 1927. Two months later, on August 8 of that year, the South Texas Ex-Students Association (later to be known as the Alumni Association) was established "to promote the general welfare and interest" of the law school.
In response to the increasing number of students graduating from South Texas, the Ex-Students Association incorporated itself as a Texas corporation. By the mid-fifties, the association was holding monthly luncheon meetings and publishing a newsletter known as the South Texan.
South Texas ended its longtime association with the Y and became a private, independent law school. The Ex-Students Association established the Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award; its first recipient was William A. Miller Jr. '36.
The Ex-Students Association reorganized itself and became the South Texas College of Law Alumni Association, the name that it goes by today. The College also began publishing Quarterly, which originated as an alumni newsletter and eventually became the alumni magazine.
The Alumni Association established its first state chapter, in Florida, and named Jane F. Yount '58 as the College's first Distinguished Alumna of the Year.
In April, the Alumni Association became chartered with the Texas secretary of state as a nonprofit charitable educational corporation, which it remains today. Later that year, the group published its first Alumni Directory.
Seven months before Dean Garland R. Walker's death, the College completed its ll-story Tower building. Later that year, the Alumni Association honored Dean Walker by establishing the Garland R. Walker Memorial Scholarship Fund, which provides annual scholarships to students based on merit and need.
Over one-third of all lawyers in Harris County were by now South Texas alumni. As a means of keeping these graduates, and their more far-flung classmates, up to date on alumni news, the Alumni Association launched Postscripts, a newsletter that was replaced in 2006 by @alumni e-news, an online newsletter distributed via email.
In April, the Alumni Association inaugurated what was to become its signature event for 14 years: the gala. Funds from the event helped support the Garland R. Walker Memorial Scholarship Fund and the Lizabeth Parham Matthews Scholarship Fund, and in 2006 and 2007, supported the College's Annual Fund.
The Alumni Association Board of Directors created a strategic plan and restructured into four standing committees: Admissions, Programming/Events, Development/Fundraising, and Student/Alumni. The committees provide an opportunity for a broader base of alumni to get involved in the work of the Alumni Association.