Financial Aid FAQ

What type of financial aid can I receive?
As a graduate student, financial aid consists of scholarships and/or federal student loans. Graduate students are not eligible for federal grants. Review reliable information about loans on the Federal Student Aid website.

Can I apply for Federal student loans before I am accepted for admission?
Yes. Anyone may complete a FAFSA before applying for admission or being accepted. As long as you include South Texas College of Law Houston’s Federal ID number (004977) on the FAFSA, the information will be sent to us electronically. South Texas College of Law Houston will email you a financial aid package after you have been accepted for admission and pay a seat deposit.

What other forms does South Texas College of Law Houston require for a student to apply for Federal student loans?
New students must complete the FAFSA and the New Student Application to apply for financial aid.  Continuing students must complete the FAFSA and the Continuing Student Application.  However, if you borrow student loans, your lender will require you to complete a promissory note. All entering students are considered for merit scholarships based on their undergraduate performance and LSAT score.

Do many students at South Texas College of Law Houston receive scholarships?
Roughly 20 percent of South Texas College of Law Houston’s students receive partial scholarships. The school also offers scholarships to continuing students; these scholarship opportunities are announced during the academic year.

Will student loans cover all of my costs at South Texas College of Law Houston?
A combination of Federal Direct and Federal Graduate PLUS loans may be necessary to cover the full cost of attendance at South Texas College of Law Houston, which is currently $48,000 annually for full-time students (fall/spring enrollment), and $38,700 annually for part-time students (fall/spring enrollment). Students who live with a roommate frequently do not accept the full amount of loans offered to them; the budget is based on single occupancy. The amounts included in the cost of attendance include tuition, living expenses, books, transportation, etc. The Federal Direct loans cover $20,500 every two semesters, and thus will not cover the full cost of tuition or living expenses for full-time enrollment. For this reason, many students choose to secure Graduate PLUS loans. Graduate PLUS loans require a credit check, must be applied for annually, and have a higher interest rate and loan origination fee.

If I do want to take out Federal Direct and/or Graduate PLUS Loans, who is the lender?
South Texas College of Law Houston participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. Please note, the FAFSA is an application for the loans and is NOT your lender. Submitting the FAFSA is a requirement and only determines the amount of the Subsidized Stafford loan you are eligible to borrow.

May I borrow money for a laptop computer?
Yes. Students often need to have a laptop computer, and may borrow up to $1,500 in Federal student loans to cover the cost.

If I don’t need the full loan amount offered to me, do I have to borrow it?
No. Students should borrow only the amount they actually need. When you receive your financial award letter detailing how much you are eligible to borrow, you may reduce that amount simply by logging in to your STANLEY web account. Information and directions are provided along with the award letter.

Why is my credit important and how can I check it?
Many students who attend South Texas College of Law Houston borrow Graduate PLUS loans in addition to Stafford loans. To be eligible for Graduate PLUS loans, students must have non-delinquent credit. Bad credit usually implies having made late payments (more than 30 days) on credit cards, medical bills, telephone bills, rent or other types of credit. Defaults, collection actions, write-offs and bankruptcy also indicate bad credit. Because mistakes often occur with credit reporting agencies, we strongly recommend that you contact one or all of the national credit agencies to receive a copy of your credit report in advance of applying for Graduate PLUS loans. You may request your free credit report at

What if I have a negative credit rating?
You should request a copy of your credit report in advance and remedy any deficiencies before applying for a loan. Some students are required to have co-signers for Federal Graduate PLUS loans. Negative credit may seriously affect your ability to finance your education through Federal Graduate PLUS loans. South Texas College of Law Houston does not have the resources to lend money to students who cannot obtain Federal Graduate PLUS loans or Private (Alternative) Loans.

May I return my refund if I decide I no longer need it?
Yes. Go to (National Student Loan Data System) and select ‘Financial Aid Review’. From there use your personal information and Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID login in (if you do not remember your ID, go to to create another). Once in your account on NSLDS you will see:

  • each student loan ever obtained
  • institution attended when loan was obtained
  • servicer assigned by the Department of Education (DOE) to each loan obtained, along with contact information
  • All questions regarding loan: returning money, or loan repayment, should be discussed with the assigned servicer.

If I have more questions, who can I contact?
You may call or e-mail the Financial Aid Office at South Texas College of Law Houston. The e-mail address is The phone number is 713-646-1820.

Experian, 1-888-397-3742,
Trans-Union, 1-800-888-4213,
CBI/Equifax, 1-800-997-2493,

NOTE: In some circumstances, the inability to borrow Graduate PLUS loans due to negative credit will seriously affect your ability to finance your legal education. The law school doesn’t have the resources to lend money to students who cannot obtain Graduate PLUS loans.