South Texas College of Law Houston offers the opportunity to enroll in the full-time program in the fall or spring and the part-time program exclusively in the fall. Applications must be received by March 15 (for fall entry) and October 1 (for spring entry). The fall application opens at the beginning of December and the spring application opens at the beginning of August. While GPA and LSAT scores are important, we also assess each applicant’s life experience, work history, community service and graduate work.
All applicants are required to take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), administered nationwide by the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) each October, December, February, and June. South Texas College of Law Houston will not consider an LSAT score from a test administered more than five years prior to the beginning of the semester for which application for admission is made. Applicants must also register with the Credential Assembly Service (CAS). Each applicant is responsible for making his or her own arrangements to take the LSAT and for submitting official transcripts of all undergraduate work to CAS for evaluation, as well as any post baccalaureate or graduate work. Applicants must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a college or university listed in the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education available online.
Registration information for the LSAT and CAS may be obtained by calling LSAC at 215-968-1001 or at www.lsac.org.
The Application Process
Every applicant must complete the following steps:
- Take the LSAT.
- Register with CAS (as described above);
- Fully complete and submit an application for admission, paying special attention to instructions about disclosures and updates;
- Submit a resume of employment;
- Attach a detailed personal statement setting forth the applicant’s unique individual qualifications,interests, and aspirations for the study of law. The personal statement should be 2-3 pages in length double spaced;
- Submit at least two letters of recommendation – a third is optional – through the Letter of Recommendation Service offered by LSAC. This service is included in your CAS Registration fees. South Texas College of Law Houston does not accept Evaluations in place of Letters of Recommendation; and
- Pay the $55 non-refundable application fee;
Fall Semesters: March 15
Spring Semesters: October 1
Submitting an Application
South Texas Law strongly prefers candidates complete and submit an online application. Applications submitted online will be considered postmarked on the day they were electronically submitted.
Candidates who prefer to submit an application by mail can download and print the application form.
A candidate must fully complete and sign the application for admission and submit it with the $55 non-refundable application fee in the form of a check or money order payable to South Texas College of Law Houston. All other supporting documentation should also be included and mailed to 1303 San Jacinto, Houston, TX 77002.
Please Note: If you answered “yes” to any of the Character and Fitness questions, please include your detailed letter of explanation. Once an application has been received and processed, all further communication will be conducted via e-mail. Please provide a current e-mail address on your application and notify the Admissions Office of any changes during the review process. If you do not have an e-mail account, please contact the Office of Admissions for specific instructions.