The South Texas Law Review is published four times each year, one issue per season. Each volume includes at least one issue dedicated to a symposium hosted by the Law Review. The Law Review is staffed by students in their second and third year of law school.
Prestigious Contributors to the Law Review
Committed to publishing work of jurisprudence import, the South Texas Law Review has featured articles by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, United States Supreme Court; Justice Clarence Thomas, United States Supreme Court; former Chief Judge John R. Brown, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; Judge Robert H. Bork, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; and Professor Arthur R. Miller, Harvard Law School.
History of the South Texas Law Review
The South Texas Law Journal was the idea of Clair E. Getty, Jr., the first Editor in Chief of the journal. Although Mr. Getty has since passed away, his vision of a student-edited law journal has carried on.
Formed in the Fall of 1953, the South Texas Law Journal was funded with endowments from a number of leading Houston individuals and firms including: Baker & Botts; Andrews & Shepherd; Bonham, Stanley & Campbell; Gerald S. Gordon; Hutcheson, Taliaferro & Hutcheson; Elliot A. Johnson; Schlumberger Oil Well Services; James F.H. Lee; Lidell, Austin, Dawson & Huggins; Vinson, Elkins, Weems & Searls; E.E. Townes and the Alumni Association. At its inception, the Journal was the only standard law review in the nation edited entirely by students of an evening law school.
The inaugural issue of the South Texas Law Journal was printed in April 1954, with the following students serving as editors: Clair E. Getty, Jr., Editor in Chief; James Watson Davis, Case Editor; Harry Hutchens, Associate Case Editor; Rose Marke Murray, Book Review Editor; O.L. Sanders, Jr., Legislation Editor; and J. Phil McGown, Jr., Exchange Editor. Originally bound in a red and white cover, which was the most inexpensive at the time, the Journal changed its binding to the current light beige with navy blue print in 1985. On November 25, 1985, the journal changed its name to South Texas Law Review.