The Frank Evans Center sponsors a number of events throughout the year in conjunction with the Houston Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution and other regional associations. All monthly HBA programs are held at the law school at 7:30 a.m. in the Emilie Slohm room in the library. To rsvp to any HBA events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Panelists from the 2018 HBA ADR Section Annual Conference on ADR
Past HBA ADR Section Events at STCL Houston:
- May 4, 2018 – Annual Full Day Conference on ADR
- April 10, 2018 – The Non-Secret Secrets for a Successful Mediator with Hon. Alvin Zimmerman
- March 13, 2018- Addressing allegations of corruption and use of allegedly illegally obtained evidence in arbitration
- February, 13, 2018 – Providing Solutions to Challenges in the Labor & Employment Law Arena with Hon. Joseph Hallbach, Jon King, Amy Halevy, Todd Slobin, and Timothy Bown
- January 9, 2018 – The Robot Mediator: Artificial Intelligence in the practice of ADR with Saskia Mehlhorn, Norton Rose Fulbright, LLP
- November 14, 2017 – Disclosures, Discovery and Motions: Pre-Hearing Practical and Ethical Challenges to Arbitrators and Advocates with Lonnie Schooler, Elizabeth Ray, and Michael Wilk
- October 10, 2017 – Evaluating the Risk of Trial, in the Era of No Trials with Judge Randy Wilson, Norman Roser, and Randy Sorrel
- September 12, 2017 – Collaborative Law with Norma Trusch
- May 5, 2017 – full day Annual Conference on ADR
- April 11, 2017 – ADR in Personal Injury Litigation with Frank Gerold, Tom Norok, and Rick Plezia
- March 14, 2017 – The Evolution of Arbitration in America with Professor Imre Stephen Szalai
- Feb. 14, 2017 – Real estate and ADR with Jerry Hoover, Britt Schmoller Naponic, and Pat Sharkey
- Jan. 10, 2017 – ADR in the oil and gas world with Gary McGowan and James Rogers
- Nov. 15, 2016 – Attorney and Government Affairs Consultant, Denise Rose, of Jackson Walker (Austin) spoke about the status of various ADR bills from the 2015 legislative session.
- Oct. 11, 2016 – Industry Perspectives on Construction Mediation. Speakers included Dale Tingleaf, Harrison Bibb, and David Peden.
- Sept. 13, 2016 – Panel Discussion on recent Texas Supreme Court case, Hoskins v. Hoskins (relating to the challenge of an arbitration award under the Texas Arbitration Act). Panelists included: Lionel Schooler, Ingeuneal Gray, and the Hon. Alvin Zimmerman.
- May 6, 2016 – Annual Full Day Conference on ADR
- April 12, 2016 – “What do you do after impasse? The hows and whens of follow-up” with Terry Fry
- March 8, 2016 – “Mediation of EEOC cases” with Joe Bontke, EEOC Outreach Manager
- February 9, 2016 – “Ethical challenges in arbitation and mediation” with Lonnie Schooler and Paul Clote
- January 12, 2016 – “Planning for mediation from the advocate’s perspective” with Shawn Raymond
Other Past Events:
The Texas Mediator Credentialing Association (TMCA) hosted its 12th Annual Symposium at South Texas College of Law Houston on Saturday October 22, 2016. For more information, please visit http://www.txmca.org/.
The Texas Mediation Trainers Roundtable hosted its 2016 Train the Trainer Conference with Richard Barnes at South Texas College of Law Houston on Wednesday, February 24, 2016. For additional information, please visit www.tmtr.org.